Huskers Travel to Creighton on Tuesday
NEBRASKA at CREIGHTON
March 21, 2023
Charles Schwab Field | Omaha, Neb.
Tuesday, March 21 - 6 p.m. CT
Pitching: LHP Jackson Brockett (1-0, 0.84 ERA) vs. RHP Dominic Cancellieri (0-0, 4.91 ERA)
TV/Streaming: Nebraska Public Media
Radio: Huskers Radio Network – Lincoln (1400 AM), Omaha (590 AM), Huskers.com, Huskers App
Nebraska makes the short trip to Omaha for a midweek matchup at Creighton on Tuesday night at Charles Schwab Field. First pitch between the Huskers and Bluejays is set for 6:02 p.m.
Tuesday night's game will be broadcast live on Nebraska Public Media, with Larry Punteney and Bill Steckis on the call.
Fans can also listen to Greg Sharpe and Ben McLaughlin call the action on Tuesday night on the Huskers Radio Network, which can be hard on KLIN (1400 AM) in Lincoln and KXSP (590 AM) in Omaha. Every game this season can be heard for free on Huskers.com and the Official Nebraska Huskers App for both iOS and android devices.
Nebraska vs. Creighton
• Nebraska and Creighton have met 144 times on the baseball diamond, with the Huskers holding an 86-56-2 advantage in the all-time series.
• The series is split at 9-9 through 18 games played at Charles Schwab Field.
• In their lone meeting last season, the Huskers fell 3-2 to the Bluejays in Omaha on March 29.
• The two teams met in Lincoln last April, but the game was suspended in the third inning due to inclement weather.
• Nebraska is one of 11 teams nationally with two everyday starters hitting at least .400 this season at the plate.
• Anderson is hitting .438 with nine doubles, two triples, three homers, 22 RBI and 12 runs, while Matthews is adding seven doubles, six home runs, 28 RBI and 21 runs with a .424 hitting clip.
• Other teams with at least two players hitting above .400 and have started every game this season include Alabama State, Auburn, Georgia, Grand Canyon, Kent State, Kentucky, Michigan State, Monmouth, The Citadel and UTSA.
Third Time's the Charm
• Third-inning at-bats have proven to be successful for NU pitching and hitting, as the Huskers are outscoring opponents 18-1 in the third inning this season.
• On the mound, the NU pitching staff holds a 0.50 ERA with 15 strikeouts and just nine hits allowed in the third inning of games.
• Offensively, the Huskers are hitting .316 with five doubles, four home runs, 16 RBI and 18 runs in the third frame.
Matthews, Caron a Constant on the Base Path
• Brice Matthews and Josh Caron have been a constant on the base paths for the Huskers recently, as both enter Tuesday night having reached base safely in 15-plus games.
• Matthews comes into the midweek matchup with the Bluejays with a 21-game reached base streak, while Caron has reached base safely in 18 straight games.
Flashing the Leather
• Through their first 18 games this season, the Huskers have committed just 10 errors and rank eighth nationally with a .983 fielding percentage.
Carey Settles into College Game
• Dylan Carey has had a productive start to his collegiate career, hitting .343 with five doubles, a triple, two home runs, 12 RBI and 16 runs scored.
• In 17 games, the Castle Rock, Colo., native has compiled seven multi-hit games, including a pair of three-hit games and a four-hit performance.
Numbers to Know
9 – Jackson Brockett takes the mound with a nine-inning scoreless streak on Tuesday night. Brockett is 1-0 with a 0.84 ERA in four appearances this season.
19 – Nebraska and Creighton take the field on Tuesday night for the 19th all-meeting between the two teams at Charles Schwab Field. Each team was won nine times in their previous 18 games in Omaha.
11 – Nebraska is one of 11 teams nationally with at least two everyday starters hitting above .400 this season.
10 – The Huskers have totaled at least five extra-base hits in 10 of their 18 games this season. Nebraska is 8-1-1 in those 10 games, including 5-1-1 in games outside Lincoln.
7 – Nebraska ranks seventh nationally with a batting average of .332 as a team. Nine Huskers are hitting .300 or better this season, including Max Anderson and Brice Matthews hitting above .400.